Saturday, August 25, 2007

Another one bites the dust MMCC

Most if not all of you are familiar with the Milwaukee Metropolitan Community Church. Many know that Mr. Lew Broyles unexpectedly passed away during a trip to Mississippi while making arrangements to move down there and set up a new job several years ago. It was revealed to myself and certain others that he had decided that he had overstayed his welcome here and would be resigning his ministry to move down south.

Prior to his passing however Lew elevated a group of us to Deacon status in order to serve the church in his absence until a permanent pastor could be hired to fill the position. We fully expected that the transition would go smoothly but this was not to be because of this unfortunate passing. The church struggled through a interim minister and finally to the current pastor.

One of the problems was and still is the inability to let go of the memory of Mr Broyles. Fully recognizing this fact several years later I wrote the following letter which I present below. It being my intention to poke and prod them as I sometimes do in order to speed the process along. Obviously they missed the point entirely.

Yes, When is Lew Broyles ever going to die?

Every chance we get we refer to him, we compare him and we talk about him as though he never left. Its been several years and we still haven't let go of him. He exists on the both of the Church's web sites. We even buried him under a tree hoping that he would miraculously spring to life and walk into the front door of the church as if nothing ever happened.

Might I remind you that no one since Christ has ever risen from the dead. Not since his death over two thousand years ago or since.

This reminds me of a story of two Buddhist Priests who were about to cross a stream. On the bank was a person of lower class (untouchable) who was unable to walk or cross the stream. In India Buddhist Priests or anyone for that matter were not allowed to even touch such outcasts. Instead the Priest picked up the stranger and proceeded to carry him across the stream. When he got to the other side he set him down and proceeded along the road as if nothing ever happened. Astonished the other priest asked the one why he had done that? The Priest looked at him and asked why the other was still holding the outcast?

I ask the same question. Why are we still holding Lew? If we are ever to grow and advance we must let go. The sooner that is done the better.

And the response from the Senior Deacon;

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...WRONG THOUGH THEY MAY BE!"

If everyone is still holding on to Lew, perhaps it's because they're not ready to let go yet. Grieving takes people different lengths of time; and he was, after all, a formative personality in the life of our church and community. Perhaps the best way to let go of him is to try to fill his big footsteps--by being bigger people ourselves.

And from the Music Director;
I am responsible for the website - I think you know that. If you have any suggestions or issues please let me know personally. Our church has a direct dealing policy. Why didn't you just talk to me about this at church or in person?
Ridiculing/questioning my work with the church is very hurtful and It's hard not to take it as a personal attack - especially if you don't talk to me and instead email a group of people. I do everything i possibly can to make the church grow and make it a positive place for people.

My response after prayerful consideration;
Saturday, August 25th 2007

To: Name withheld, Board of Directors

After much prayerful reflection, sadly given the current circumstances, the question of the status of my conduct has come into question. The result of such accusations and threats appears to promote the potential for investigation, therefore be it known effective immediately that this notice serves as my formal resignation, complete departure from continued involvement, service, relationship and support of the Milwaukee Metropolitan Community Church as of the date provided.
You are hereby instructed to remove my name from the membership roster of the church.
I also instruct The Treasurer to provide my final accounting of my tithing as of this date to the below listed address.

That's it, I'm done.
More juicy tidbits may be forthcoming.




No comments: