Thursday, April 5, 2007

Whats going on with the Bears?

Perhaps some of you know and then perhaps you don't know that I have been involved with several local gay newspapers. First and foremost The Wisconsin Light and sporadically the InStep magazine. While in high school I was the school newspaper chief photographer. To say that photography and journalism or photojournalism is a passion would be an understatement.

Since moving here with my parents to Wisconsin I have been involved with all aspects of the LGBT community from Action Wisconsin to the Bear Club. Once again the journalistic bug has bitten and I have resigned from most organizations to pursue this passion. Which brings me to the question, Whats happening with the Bears?

First they lost their home bar then many members dropped out or have not renewed their membership. Late December elections for new officers were held and several positions remained vacant. Now it looks like they have suspended the By-Laws and upon defeating a motion to disband are contemplating the club's future. With only a third of the roster remaining, will they be able to recruit new members and breathe new life into the organization? Will they be able to regain their home bar? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Seeing as they have temporarily suspended the by-laws can women join too? After all there are Mama Bears and there are Papa Bears. Besides where do you think little Bears come from? Didn't their constitution say something about being a Social Club who welcomed Bears and their Admirers? I can tell you that I know some women who consider themselves Bears. I think they will be a great asset if the club lets them join. Personally I think we should end our internalized homophobia and join together as one big happy family. Lets get rid of the Boys Club mentality, that is so old. But will they do it? That is the question.
Can they pull it off? Lets wait and see.

No comments: