Friday, June 7, 2013

What's with Milwaukee Metropolitan community Church?

Back in 2008 I was doing security downtown and I was involved in assisting the police in a major homicide which later made the papers. Shortly after the homicide my neck kind of cracked in my left hand and left foot started going numb. I thought perhaps it was the cold weather as I would have to's stick my arm out of the window when it was cold out as I was entering the garage and as I passed certain points I had to hit the scanner to indicate that I checked areas within the different buildings. It kept on getting worse so I decided I would see the doctor to find out what was going on. After a bunch of tests they discovered that what happened was that I had a spinal cord injury and that I needed to have an operation in order to fix the problem otherwise I would've been totally disabled. Needless to say the operation was successful and I was off work for several months. It was at this time that I stopped going to MCC and concentrated on getting back on my feet so to speak. There were several reasons why I decided stop going to the church, not because I didn't like it but because of the infighting that was going on between the deacons. So I told the minister that I was not going to be coming anymore because of this kind of stuff. Later on I found out that she had done away with the deacons. Apparently it was her decision that the congregation would be the ones who would ultimately help to run the church as needed. They instituted committees such as the building and grounds committee the technology committee the music committee the welcoming committee etc. For all practical purposes the only thing left was for the minister to give sermons and that was just about it, everything else was done by the people in the congregation or decided upon by the board of directors as they deemed fit. I did however go to church from time to time but gradually stopped going I think perhaps from loss of interest.

There was a time when I suggested that they start a Facebook page so that they could post any announcements about what was happening at the church or any special events or anything else that was going on to keep people posted on the goings-on of the church. This I thought would be a good way of marketing the church, after all we all know that members tend to come and go and that we need to replenish those that have dropped out to keep the church going and to keep interest high. Unfortunately many of the people that belonged to the church did not seem to be very computer literate, either that or they never checked their computers and never use them. So once the webpage or should I say Facebook page was created they never really updated it and it stayed pretty much static for months and months at a time. This is not good because anybody who would visit the Facebook page by the church would eventually wonder if the church was even in operation. In order to maintain people's interests it is necessary that you keep on posting notices and other things and activities that the church was doing. It would also be a good idea to post the theme of any upcoming sermons that may be of interest to those who would be planning to go to church. I guess soon after that they discovered that they could put up a blog for free using WordPress.com {milmcc.org} witch they did but the page was left unfinished I assume either because of lack of knowledge or interest. This also after a while seem to be abandoned and no new information seemed to ever be posted there on any type of timely basis. Unfortunately they never put a telephone number to be able to contact anybody at the church. There was of course a church telephone (on the facebook { https://www.facebook.com/pages/Milwaukee-MCC/143495165714520} you had to hunt for it in the About area) number which when called was never answered by anyone and only contained a prerecorded message telling people to leave their name and number and at they would get back to them. The problem was that there was never anybody in the church during the week to pick up the phone and to find out who had called nor did they ever bothered to call anybody back leaving the impression to those seeking information that perhaps this also had been abandoned. The church could have used call forwarding to forward all calls made to the church's number so someone would be available anytime to answer any questions or relay information.It seems to me like they only kept the telephone line but never used it which to me is a very sad state of affairs. Another thing is that the facebook page is set up for announcements and NO comments are allowed.

I also get the distinct impression that if you don't go to the church and you don't give them any money or you don't attend anything they don't care about you which is really a shame considering how gay people are treated. Typical of institutional religion. This is not the way I would operate a church. I would encourage people to try to call the number and see what happens because all you are going to get is a prerecorded message and very likely never be called back. Their websites both milmcc.org and queerchurch.org have either a telephone number or a way of responding to anything this put up on the Internet or on Facebook. The only way you can contact them via queer church.org is to fill out a form and whether they will even look at that or answer it is questionable. I Really hate to say it but no wonder it is the way it is, it's a really sad state of affairs but such is life. Unless Milwaukee Metropolitan community Church changes the way they operate I don't see them lasting very much longer within our community. Would you really want to go to a church that didn't care about you? I know I don't.

I suppose if you're going to go to Pride Fest, go to the health and wellness area and ask them why they don't upgrade their websites why they don't tell anybody what's going on why don't they care about the gay community? Or is it just lip-service? We need answers and we want to know what's going on with MCC or are they just incredibly lazy? Inquiring minds would like to know.

No comments: