Saturday, June 8, 2013

I Confess I was just a little upset about MCC yesterday

Yesterday I wrote kind of a scathing article on Milwaukee Metropolitan Community Church. I guess, to say the least, I was a little upset with the way things are going there. Almost every day I check on Facebook and I check on You- Tube and I check on other websites I check on the LGB T community center, the Pride Fest's website and usually both the Milwaukee MCC Facebook page and also the Queer-church page and the MCC WordPress page. What got me upset was that none of these pages that MCC has up on the Internet has been updated for months at a time. One website was updated only in 2012, now that is just plain pitiful.

As I explained in the previous post I've had some health issues and I don't get out too much anymore most of the information I get is from the Internet and from talking to people on the phone and stuff like that. Thanks to the excellent work of the doctors my spinal surgery was a fabulous success. I still however have hip pain from what I'm told is bursitis and I am going to be scheduling an appointment with the doctor for a cortisone shot which hopefully will help tremendously with alleviating the pain.

Anyway back to the subject of MCC. When I did go to MCC I was quite active in the church. For about eight years I was a Deacon but I gave that up because of all the infighting amongst the deacons in the church. I figured it just wasn't worth all the hassle. Prior to the church buying the building that they now hold services in I had known the Lou Broyles for quite a number years prior to that. I informed Lou that the Unitarian church that I attended from about the beginning of June when the kids graduated from school to the first week in September went on hiatus for the summer. That means there were no church services, so I decided to attend services at MCC during the summer until the time that the Unitarian Universalist church started back up in the fall. I became friends with Lou and he discovered that one of my interests was comparative religion. He asked me to join the church and participate in new member orientation process where I was able to explain the differences between the religion that they had left and MCC. Soon after that Lou decided that we needed deacons to carryout some of the common tasks of the church. My interest besides new member orientation was hospital visitation and jail and prison ministry. Now many of us were a little disappointed when Lou decided that he wanted to get back to his old flame down south and informed us that he wanted to move down there to be with him. Unfortunately while he was visiting down south he had a fatal heart attack and passed away. In the meantime MCC was left without a minister and had hired an interim minister until they could find someone full time.

Just after the new minister was hired I thought it might be a good idea to explain to the new minister about the church  and the people attending church and some of the inner workings of it so she could get a handle on how things would be going. That of course was her first mistake, not wanting to listen to the information I felt would help her new ministry. I really didn't care whether she used the information or not just that she would have it for future reference if she needed it. That to me was a fatal mistake. Soon after I left the church because of all the infighting I found out that she did away with all the deacons in the church and instituted committees. This is not what a leader does. You do not allow the employees to run the business without supervision because they will run it right into the ground. I had suggested that in order to keep people informed of what's going on in the church that they should probably get on Facebook so they can post information on sermons, meetings, classes and other things that would be going on with the church on a timely basis. Apparently shortly thereafter they found out that they could set up a Milwaukee MCC page on WordPress where they could set up of a blog about what was going on. It started out okay but all of a sudden they stopped posting on both of these places and unfortunately information was no longer forthcoming.

As many of you should know by now I am a very outspoken person. I became interested in journalism when I started high school and became the school's chief photographer also writing short captions describing some of the events that I had covered. In 1964 he moved here to Wisconsin where I pursued my interests in electronics and got a job with the General Electric Company as a service technician and customer relations person which I was very good at. Sometime in the late 1980s through a conversation with a fellow photographer I thought perhaps I might be gay and I finally came out. It was during this time that I finally met Terry and Jerry of the Wisconsin light and Michael Lisowski and Dan Fons who hosted the Queer Program. I became close friends with Terry and Jerry and also became one of their photographers and journalists for the newspaper up to the time it finally ceased publication. I suppose by now you're probably wondering what this has to do with MCC? Well I will tell you. My experience with sales and marketing and journalism taught me that to grow a business you need to tell people about what you're doing to grab their interest and to get them to purchase your product, in this case MCC. MCC's failure to get the word out is hurting them dearly. It's hard to keep a church going when you lose members and money to pay your bills. This is why I am pushing so hard to get them to start putting information up on both of their webpages so that they can attract more members and interest in the church and hopefully make it successful.

I always do things for a reason that is why I am writing this article here to force them whether they like it or not to do the right thing. Even though my views have changed I still care about MCC and would like to see it succeed, that's why I do what I do. And no I am not dissatisfied nor I am I that old fart that some people call me. Believe me I made a lot of mistakes in my 68 years and I just don't want to see history repeat itself and that's why I do what I do.
 TT FN  Gary

No comments: