Saturday, September 13, 2008

How are we doing pridefest?

Don't you think it's about time we hear something from pridefest? It's been several months since pridefest and not one word other than the very short article in the Quest and QLife magazines (see my post below) assuring us that although there were some problems and pridefest will go on. We all know from inclement weather and protesters at the front gates that revenue was down, but how far down, that is the question? I think most people in the community would like to know how things are going. Or is this like years past another one of those gigantic mess ups that almost put them into bankruptcy? Strangely history seems to repeat itself. Is this what has happened or once again? Is this why they are staying strangely quiet? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Pridefest unfortunately because of the dates that they have chosen for the festival makes them self highly dependent upon the weather. If we get really good weather and it's warm out, which is very uncertain at the beginning of June, is likely that pridefest will be quite a success. On the other hand should we get bad weather attendance will be down and so won't revenues.

In past years we have dealt with the usual protesters who have caused very little if any problems. This year however, which I tried to point out to them and was unfortunately blown off, that they were in for a major protest. I contacted the president of pridefest and indicated that the Neo-Nazis and Bash Back Milwaukee were going to protest on Saturday in front of the festival grounds. Almost all of the various media in the city of Milwaukee were notified and each covered the protests. Why pridefest organizers did not take these warnings to heart, I do not know. I just wonder if their is insurance covered all the extra police protection that was needed? Or has this also added to the problems that currently exist? Inquiring minds would like to know.

I just wonder about the advertising that pridefest is doing sponsoring various entertainment in order to boost its revenues? After all they can't repeat what happened in the past to ask for Angels to bail them out. I don't know if anyone would do that again. I really don't like to sound like doom and gloom, but I really do suspect that they are in trouble. I do sincerely hope that they can bounce back and to raise the revenue they so desperately need so that we can continue celebrating pridefest in years to come.

If I might make a suggestion, I think it would be advantageous for pridefest to move the date of the festival to a time when we have warmer weather. Now I know that some will say that June is the month when pride is celebrated. That may be all well and good, but we do not live in a climate conducive to good weather. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of mother nature and it is either boom or bust. We either make it or we don't. On the other hand if pridefest were moved to to a time when there is warmer weather, there is a much higher likelihood of success. Not only that, and I don't know about you, but I like to see a little skin. Wouldn't you?

I would really like to find out what people think about this and I encourage your comments and or criticisms. Like me or hate me, this is the reality of the situation. I really do think we need some dialogue. It is for this reason that many times I act as a devil's advocate to force people to think and to force them into dialogue, whether they like it or not. Remember, I do this for our own good. So let's get some dialogue going, shall we?

No comments: